It was later in possession of Mary H. Couch, the captain’s youngest daughter, when purchased by John Marshall, a marine engineer who worked for the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company, and served on several steamers including the Wide West, Willamette Chief, Wellington Chief, and the Harvest Queen.
Two years later, Captain Clark Woods Sprague, believed to be the father of Marshall’s wife, Sarah, acquired two of the four lots, where he built two houses. Captain Sprague, a then ship captain for the O.R. & N. Co., deeded the house to his daughter in 1885, but lived in the corner house at 17th and Everett Streets with the Marshalls until 1886. The Marshall family lived in the house until 1902, also the year it was sold to Henry A. Moore of Moore Investment Company. Two years later, the house was relocated to its present site and sold to Charles W. Bowie who was listed in the City Directory as a “Capitalist.” The home was purchased again in 1980 by George T. and Barbara Gray. In the same year, the G.T. Gray House was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
.11 acre lot
Don’t wait to see more—take the 3D Tour!